Monte Creek Winery/Sidhu & Sons Nursery is hiring a full-time Vineyard Manager to manage a 75 acre vineyard in the Similkameen Valley, British Columbia. The vineyard was designed by world renowned terroir expert Pedro Parra and is in development, with 50 acres currently planted. Key varieties include Pinot Noir, Gamay Noir, Riesling and Chardonnay, although small blocks and trials of other varieties may ensue.
The successful candidate will be in charge of planning and executing all aspects that contribute to operating a healthy, balanced, premium, organic vineyard. The right candidate is proficient in research and development in agricultural advancements, is a hard and consistent worker who leads by example and is effective at motivating others to do high quality work. Candidates need to have excellent management skills, a keen attention to detail, and a drive to be innovative in the development of vineyard operations. The successful candidate must possess sufficient technical understanding combined with a scientific approach to guide complex analysis and planning, taking into account a wide range of factors relating to viticulture. The Vineyard Manager will be required to plan ahead, work systematically, manage time efficiently and demonstrate commitment to continuous improvement of organizational systems, processes, and methodologies in an effort to develop a world-class vineyard.
- Work with senior management to produce and execute the Annual Vineyard Management Plan to ensure best practices in the fields of pruning, IPM, irrigation management, yield management, soil management, vine nutrition, canopy management, and protection from climatic risks such as winter injury and wildfires.
- Manage, organize and supervise the vineyard team to complete work to high quality standards, while working within the framework of the vineyard budget. Activities include but are not limited to pruning, pulling canes, tying vines, bud and shoot thinning, suckering, tucking canes, hedging, leaf pulling, crop thinning, netting, harvesting, and fence/trellis repairs.
- Understand operation of and preventative maintenance on equipment such as tractors, sprayers, hedgers, grape hoe, tillage equipment & ATVs. Coordinate with third party mechanical services when applicable.
- Ensure health and safety protocols and site compliance are maintained within company policies and Federal and Provincial regulations (Employment Standards, WorkSafeBC regulations, etc.) and make recommendations for guidelines and SOPs to ensure a safe and productive environment for all.
- Attend and contribute to the bi-weekly management team meeting ensuring communication between vineyard locations and departments is clear.
- Execute administrative requirements for vineyard tracking processes in agCommander program to maintain work records and logs for technical data collection, collation, and analysis
- 6+ years of work experience in a vineyard environment
- 3+ years of experience leading and training vineyard workers
- Minimum of college diploma/degree in viticulture/plant sciences
- Valid BC driver’s licence
- Valid BC pesticide licence or willingness to obtain in short order
- First Aid level 1 with transportation endorsement and willingness to work up to level 3
- Solid verbal and written communication skills in English. Spanish skills are a strong asset
Wage – Salary based on experience
- Mandatory mask wearing
- Physical distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
Apply today by emailing your resume to [email protected]