Monte Creek Winery is located in the South Thompson valley, 20 minutes east of Kamloops, British Columbia. Monte Creek produces a range of premium wines from its three vineyards located in the Thompson and Similkameen Valley regions. The winery is currently expanding, with a new gravity flow expansion to be completed in 2021. Total production at Monte Creek is 300 tons, with capacity expected to reach 700 tons.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct all sampling and lab analysis on grapes, juice, and wine, utilizing primarily a Biosystems Y15 analyzer with occasional wet chemistry.
- Ensure lab analysis is updated consistently to Vintrace winery software and to company server.
- Organize and conduct bench trials.
- Perform cellar tasks from harvest to bottle, including crushpad operations, barrel work, transfers/rackings, inoculations, filtration, bottling.
- Keep the laboratory and cellar at optimal levels of sanitation at all times.
- Create and suggest solutions to winemaking issues or enhancements to company SOPs.
- Maintain an inventory of all winemaking and laboratory supplies.
- Train and supervise harvest cellar and laboratory staff.
- Maintain lab equipment.
- Submit VQA applications in a timely manner.
- A portion of this position will involve writing grant applications. The Enologist is expected to research available funding applicable to the business and to create and submit applications in conjunction with the winemaker.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science or higher, preferably in enology, viticulture, or food science.
- At least one year of full time work equivalent in a winery or food and beverage processing setting.
- Interest in winemaking, organics, and sustainability.
- Proficient in MS Office, with computer literacy to learn winery tracking software.
- Fluent or strong working proficiency in English, Spanish an asset.
- Familiarity with technical writing preferred.
- Supervisory experience an asset.
- Ability to work up to six days a week on variable or rotating shifts.
- Ability to climb stairs and to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work outside in hot or cold weather.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
Salary based on experience and access to company medical/dental benefit plan after six months.
- Mandatory mask wearing
- Physical distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
Apply today by emailing your resume to [email protected]